Francis Bacon was part of one of the oldest and most historical American piano manufacturers. The Bacon Piano Company is one of the founders of the piano industry in America. It began in 1820 with Robert Stodert and after George Bacon died, his son Francis entered as a partner in 1904 when the company took the name of Bacon Piano Company.
Originally started by the famous business tycoon John Jacob Astor along with piano makers Robert Stodart and William Dubois in 1789, the firm was originally known as Dubois & Stodart until 1836. In 1836, Stodart retired and Francis Bacon joined the firm. In 1841, Dubois left the firm and Bacon was joined by brothers Richard & Thomas Raven, and the firm’s name was changed to Bacon & Raven.
After the death of George Bacon in 1855, his son Francis Bacon joined the firm and the name of the firm was changed to Francis Bacon & Company. In 1904, the firm was incorporated as the Francis Bacon Piano Company. Francis Bacon continued building pianos with great success until the 1920’s era when the firm was absorbed into industrial giant Kohler & Campbell. Kohler & Campbell continued building the Francis Bacon name until 1934.
We are currently restoring a Francis Bacon ebony grand piano and it will soon be available to purchase. This piano can be seen on the 1931 Francis Bacon Piano page.