Founded by W.W. Kimball in 1857 as a piano dealership, it was discontinued after 1996 but remains one of America’s oldest and most distinguished keyboard instrument manufacturers. It was at one time the largest such manufacturer. Kimball was known for its low-cost upright pianos possible due to its use of vertical integration. Kimball began manufacturing in 1886, and reached its peak activity in 1910 with 4000 pianos made per year. Kimball was also builder of pipe organs from 1890 until 1942; it also made reed organs.