The Finest Grand Piano Restoration
“We are purveyors of the finest pianos and old fashioned techniques”
In home piano restoration estimates are complimentary.
Please take the time to read through our site, watch our videos and experience our work. You will understand why we are at the top of our craft and are unrivaled in talent and skill. We do it right! Most piano enthusiasts know that the new pianos of today cannot compare with the sound, build quality, and materials of a classic or antique piano from the turn of the century or mid 1900s. The wood is different(better), the craftsmanship is superior, and the quality is unmatched. Hand-made meant “made by hand in a factory of skilled craftsmen.” Piano Artisans follows that same system. Every grand piano, baby grand piano, upright piano, and player piano, we rebuild from the legs up. We address every single component of the piano in our full grand piano restoration’s.
Grand Piano Restoration Costs
Full Grand Piano Refinishing
- High Gloss (Machine Polished) Lacquer
- High Gloss (Machine Polished) Polyester
- High Gloss (Machine Polished) Varnish
- Hand Rubbed Satin (classic American & European Style Finish)
- Modern Satin (not rubbed/scratched to obtain the satin look)
- Ebony (gloss or rubbed satin)
- White (gloss or satin)
- Matte any color
Grand Piano Restoration and Piano Refurbishment Article
Restringing: Full or partial restringing services are available
- Highest quality American made strings(Mapes Piano Strings Company)
- Custom made Bass Strings(hand made in the USA)
- Diamond Nickel plated tuning pins(made in Germany and are the highest quality available)
- Replacement of original A-graffe
- Damper Replacement using Genuine Steinway Felts or Renner Felts
- Pin Block replacement using Pianotek Multi-ply or Buldoc 5 ply maple pin block material
Grand Piano Soundboard Replacement
- All Soundboard Services are done in our Artisan Shop by our own skilled technicians.
- Replacement of the original soundboard using Buldoc(best in the industry) Canadian spruce
- Replacement of the original bridge and caps using Buldoc Canadian hard rock maple
- Replacement of all of the bridge pins(nickel or copper)
- Replacement of soundboard moldings and dowels(using genuine Canadian Maple)
- Hand fitted to the case and glued using the highest quality modern wood glue.
- Hand Carved Bridges
- All work is done in our artisan shop with our skilled craftsman
Ivory & Ebony Key Top Repair
Replace missing, chipped, cracked or broken Ivory key tops using reclaimed vintage Ivory salvaged from over 100 years of business.
- Repair broken, chipped or cracked ivory piano key tops
- Remove yellowing from original Ivory. We use a gentle whitening process which takes over 24 hours, the result is stunning and permanent.
- Deep Cleaning, Buffing, and polishing of original Ivory key tops
- Restoration of Ebony key tops include removing original lacquer, then sealing and buffing with a specially formulated black rouge to seal the ebony.
- Replacement of Ebony key tops using the highest grade genuine Ebony or plastic(upon request)
Polishing/Plating of Brass/Nickel Hardware
- We hand polish and refurbish all brass hardware in house
- Removal of oxidation / tarnishing from original hardware
- Buffing and Polishing of brass hardware once the oxidation is removed, buffed to a mirror or satin finish
- Nickel & Chrome Plating of original hardware using the highest grade triple plating technique(copper, nickel and then chrome)
- All metal hardware will be coated with an anti-rust coating once the polishing is complete, the coating last for 20-50 years
Key Top Replacement (if you have plastic, yellowed or too many missing ivories)
- Key top replacement using either simulated ivory(USA), white acrylics(USA) or high density acrylic (German)
- All key top services are done in house using the proper methods in order to obtain the original measurements of overall key height and maintain genuine specs.
- Replacement of Ebony key tops, if you have a mismatched set or missing ebonies we can replace/restore the keyboard to match the original styling. Available in either Ebony or Plastic
- Polishing of existing plastic key tops. Do you have severely scratched or damaged plastic key tops? In most cases we can use a special rouge and buff/polish the original key tops to a like new finish.
- *** Special note, you can tell the difference between plastic and ivory by looking for grain on the key top, if you have grain and the key top appears to be two pieces then you you have Ivory, if not, most likely plastic.
Grand Piano Action Restoration
- All of our Action Regulation services are done in house using our standard 32 point regulation system, over 2,800 adjustments come together to bring the smoothness and fluidity back to your piano.
- We offer:
- Key Bushing cloth replacement (both rails, front and center) using German wool
- Front Rail Felts Replacement (using either dark green or pear green felts(highest quality German Wool)
- Back rail/rest rail felt replacement (using either dark green or pear green felts(highest quality German Wool)
- Polish front rail pins and center rail pins(we do this to remove the oxidation and reduce the friction of the contact points)
- Replacement of all whippen/repetition felts (this is typical when you prefer us to work with your original parts)
- Back check buckskin leather replacement(we replace all back check leather using the original style Buckskin from Germany)
- Keyframe reconditioning
- Soda blast all screws and metal components to remove decades of oxidation. Soda blasting is the best method in removing only the oxidation but leaving the integrity of the original solder joints and manufacturing marks on the components)
- Replacement of the piano hammers shanks & Hammers. We offer Genuine Steinway Hammers, Renner(German Made) Hammers, Abel(German Made) Hammers or Pacific Gold(Japanese) . All hammers are not created Equal and depending on a few determining factors we can help you select the best choice for your piano.
Grand Piano Action Replacement/ Restoration (we can partially replace or entirely replace all components)
- Duplication and reconstruction of the original action assembly( we completely remanufacture all aspects of the action including keytops and keyframe) This service will ensure the action is brand new in every aspect
- Replacement of the whippens/repetitions with either Tokiwa(Japan), Steinway(USA), Renner(Germany) or Abel(Germany) parts
Our Favorite Pianos
“After speaking with various piano restoration facilities located in New York and California we easily decided on Piano Artisans. The moment we called we knew we found the right company. We visited their facility in Orange and were impressed with their work and knowledge of everything pianos. We arranged a pickup date for our Steinway and six months later our piano was back in our home. It surely is beautiful and it sounds and plays even better! We will continue to use Piano Artisans for our annual tunings and service.
Your the best!Gerald P